This one dish recipe is literally a "throw a bunch of ingredients in a casserole dish" and set it and forget it recipe. It's perfect for post-holidays when you have leftover turkey (and don't feel like cooking AGAIN). But you can also enjoy it anytime by simply replacing the turkey with chicken or other protein whenever you're craving a soul-warming meal.
You can also easily swap out veggies with any you have on hand. Serve with a green side salad and you have a very simple and satisfying meal — and only one dish to clean! WINNING.
One Dish Turkey Rice Casserole
- 1 cup rice
- 2 and 1/4 cups turkey broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (reserve one cup for topping)
- 3 scallions chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped cooked turkey (or chicken)
- 1-2 cups frozen broccoli
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray or grease a 2 quart or larger casserole dish.
- In the dish, combine rice, broth, cream, 1 cup of cheese, scallions, butter, turkey, broccoli, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Put in oven and bake for 60 minutes, stirring halfway through to combine ingredients well.
- Top with remaining cheese with 10 minutes left in cooking time.
- Remove and garnish with more scallions, if desired.
Charlotte Linde is the editor of Macaroni KID EATS!